Monday, August 10, 2015

School?

School is coming up in a couple of weeks, and since this coming year is my junior year, these couple weeks I have before school starts are vital.

My ACL tear has definitely changed many things and shed new light on things I never noticed before.  It showed me that no matter how high up you may be, a few seconds in the wrong place at the wrong time can close that door you were so fervently chasing after.

I've always contented myself with better-than-average grades, putting in just enough time to be able to say, "Yeah, I do well in school. I can spend all my time in basketball because I'm doing better than most of the people out there."

I didn't think I had to actually try hard and get perfect grades because really, I'm getting my scholarship based off my basketball skills and my career has nothing to do with how well I do in school.

But my injury changed everything.  It brought up the "What ifs?".  What if I never get to play in college?  What if I get injured and never come back?  What if I bypass all these academic opportunities that I'll need in the future?

A special someone told me recently that I need to not just chase my dreams but also plan ahead realistically. 

That word stuck in my head for the next few days.  Realistic.  Realistic.  Realistic.

At first I was extremely reluctant about this "realistic" thing.  

You're asking me to give up my passion and live a life of mediocrity?  But I'll never be satisfied with "average".  I can't live like that.  It's not in my nature.  The world is a jungle, and I choose to eat.

After struggling with this for a few days I finally understood what she meant.  It's not wrong to chase after dreams, after goals, after passion.  It's just not smart to put all my eggs in one basket, to say I can just follow that and be sure that I will succeed, to live or die by that one dream.  

I will still put in 10,000+ hours chasing after my craft.  I will still dream to the fullest extent.  I will still set my goal on the edge of the horizon.

But I will also give my 100 percent effort to do the best I can academically.  I won't waste the opportunities God has given me.  I will use my talents and gifts to the best of my ability.  And through that, I will praise and glorify God.

To God be the glory forever and ever! 
- Galations 1:5

Aaron Chan - 99

1 comment:

  1. To the girl who said it like it is: "You go girl!"

    Aaron, glad that you are chasing your dreams AND being realistic!

    I love your last paragraph. Go for it! Proud of you, and I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete