Saturday, July 25, 2015

My Worst Nightmare Come True

Sometimes life just throws you into a wall.

Last Tuesday night, I had an injury that I had always feared would someday happen.  It hurled my life out of balance and threw up an enormous obstacle in front of me.

----

Sneakers squeaked on the dusty court as the late night Tuesday basketball camp came to the last drill of the day.  One on one match-ups.

The ball rotated seamlessly in my hands as I looked at my defender.

"In'n out dribble, right hand finish," my mind told me.

The sound of the ball hitting the floor echoed through the gym as I began my move.

Suddenly, my shoe hit a slippery spot on the floor, and my right leg slipped out in front of me.  I lost control of the ball, and as I was falling, my defender came up aggressively, his knee smashing into the inside of my right knee.  I felt a pop, and immediately found myself on the floor, clutching my knee to my chest as I gasped for air.  Pain shot through my entire leg, and I lay there wishing that it would stop, wishing that this never happened, wishing that this was all a figment of my imagination.

Doubts rushed through my head as I suddenly had questions about everything: my leg, my future, my career, my life.

"How badly am I injured?  Lord why did this have to happen to me?  Is my bone broken?  Are my ligaments torn?  God I need you right now!"

I could only hope that my leg had a superficial injury, that it was all nothing, that it was just a scratch.

Minutes later, in what felt like an eternity, the pain eased up and I was able to slowly make my way to the bench, but I was still struggling with my doubts.

--

The next day, I went to my chiropractor.  He took 5 x-rays of my knee, and assured me that all my bones were fine, but he wasn't sure if the reduced mobility in my leg was due to a ligament tear or just swelling.

We waited a few days, then I took a MRI, wishing for the best, wishing that somehow God had miraculously saved my knee from all serious injuries.

--

Friday at 4:46 PM, I received a message from my dad.

"Bad news Aaron.  Your ACL is torn.  I will schedule you to see an Orthopedic doctor for an assessment."

Suddenly everything became a blur.

I couldn't believe it.

"Me?  No.  It can't be.  There must have been a mistake.  It can't be true!  What now God?  I thought you were going to do amazing things through me. And now THIS?  I don't understand.  This was my love, my passion. And now it's gone?  How long Lord?  How long till I can play again?  How long till it will all be back to normal?  If it ever goes back to normal."

Basketball was my ticket, my pass to a successful future.

And it was ALL gone.

----

But the one thing that I will never lose, the one thing that no man can ever take away from me, the one thing that I will put all my trust in, is my faith in Christ.  He alone is my rock and my redeemer.



Aaron Chan - 88

No comments:

Post a Comment