Saturday, July 11, 2015

Stay Hungry

The sun rays pored into my skin early one summer day as I faced off one on one against my neighbor, an athletic man in his early 40's.

Halfway into the game, he stopped and asked,

"Wait, are you left or right handed?"

I turned to him in surprise.  I stood there stunned as thoughts rushed through my mind like a full-blown Tsunami.

I had known him ever since I began playing basketball, so he definately should know my game inside-and-out, most of which, my dominant hand.

Suddenly my mind flashed back to a recent encounter I had with a staff member at my gym who was watching me train.  He had asked the same question, "Which hand are you?".  I had quickly brushed him off, attributing his ignorance to the fact that he didn't know me well, that he just hadn't watched me enough.

Yet this time the question came from my neighbor.  There was no excuse, no reason for his asking.

It was then that it clicked.  I had been training my left hand for more than a year, almost to the point where I was ambidextrous.

While I couldn't shoot three's left handed, you wouldn't be able to tell which hand I was 15 feet in.


"I'm right handed", I said with a grin.

---------------------------

Little moments of success like these keep me going, but as the famous proverb says, "Complacency breeds failure."

In everything I do, I must stay hungry.  I can't ever be satisfied.  I must keep striving for more.


Success is not a final, it is a decision you must make every single day.


Aaron Chan - 62


No comments:

Post a Comment